Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My LORD and My GOD (John 20:28)

The statement of Thomas to Jesus Christ saying, “My Lord and my God” is not a good basis to believe that Jesus Christ is God. These are our contentions:

1) The verses are narrative in nature and not expository or discussing a doctrine. This is analogous to a hearsay in a civil court of law.

2) Thomas was an unbelieving person during that time. (verse 27 and 29) It is quite inconceivable that a major if not pillar article of faith like the nature of Christ be explained by a mere statement of an unbelieving member.

3) Thomas and the rest of the group were frightened (Luke 24:37). The statement of Thomas was likely a statement of surprise. The response of Thomas was similar to that suprised Cornelius who called the angel of God as LORD. (Acts 10:3-4)

4) In Chapter 24 of Luke, Jesus Christ rebuked the false belief of the disciples that they had seen a ghost or a spirit. Jesus emphasized that he is not a spirit.

But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. (Luke 24: 37-40)

God is a spirit (John 4:24). God is invisible (1 Tim 1:17).